Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Artist of the day, September 22, 2020: Sylvie Hamel, a Canadian-American designer, cake artist, mother (#1100)

My cakes tell stories about the people they are meant to celebrate.  

I have made it my life’s mission to tell stories: first, as a founding member of a marketing communications agency in New York City, all the way to my tenure as the Director of Design and Identity for UPS.  

In addition, my family accounts for a number of talented and artistic women: my grandmother and my mother were both self-taught painters; my oldest daughter Mia is a painter who trained in Florence, Italy; her work is shown at galleries across the country. Her younger sister Véronique is the Director of Verbal Identity for a prominent agency in New York City.

Being ‘semi-retired’ allows me the luxury of a focus on creative expression (French-inspired and MidCentury Modern are my favorites) as opposed to strict production. And because I consider myself an artist, I will never create the same cake twice.

© 2020. All content on this blog is protected by international copyright laws All images are copyrighted © by Sylvie Hamel / Sylvie Hamel & Associates. Apart from fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review as permitted under the Copyright Act, the use of any image from this site is prohibited unless prior written permission is obtained. All images used for illustrative purposes only

 


Baby Shower Cake

Wedgewood Cake

Baby Shower: Jungle Cake

Modern Cake

Mid Century Modern: Freesia Cake

Cherry Blossom

Wedding Cake (for Mia-John)

French Cake


 

No comments:

Post a Comment