Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Artist of the Day, September 20, 2022: Riley Cran, a Canadian graphic artist (#1652)

Riley Cran is a Canadian graphic designer based in Vancouver, BC

His Cultural influences:
My father collected vintage tin toys, and I was struck by the colorful and simplistic tin lithography art. Both of my parents are designers and illustrators, which had a big impact on my appreciation for the trade. Drawing things was just what we did; I’ve never known anything different.

His artistic influences:
I look up to folks like Charles S. Anderson and Lance Wyman whose long careers are full of work that packs a punch, and is still in use decades later. Other heroes include Paul Rand, Saul Bass, Alvin Lustig, Raymond Loewy and Alexander Girard—the greats.

His first big break:
The best work I’ve done has resulted from a relationship of trust between the client and designer. No-Li Brewhouse provided the opportunity to grow that kind of trust as I developed the face of the company across a range of pieces, from the logo to the retail packaging and shipping cartons, over the last two years. I feel so honored to have a hand in helping clients achieve their goals.

His work environment:
I share a workspace with my family members who are also designers—my father David Cran and my cousin Cade Cran. If you can make it through Vancouver’s dull and grating winters, our dense city at the base of a mountain range on the edge of the ocean is the just most beautiful place in the summer. It’s such a great blend of urban and natural environments, great for clearing your head after a long day.

His technique:
I tend to spend a lot of time thinking with a pencil in my hand. I think logic is a very powerful tool. If I expect a client to adopt a solution of mine, I make sure I am equally convinced.

His philosophy:
Clarity is a looming theme in my own philosophy about design. I aim for solutions that marry aesthetic beauty and functionality.

© 2022. All content on this blog is protected by international copyright laws All images are copyrighted © by Riley Cran or assignee. Apart from fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review as permitted under the Copyright Act, the use of any image from this site is prohibited unless prior written permission is obtained. All images used for illustrative purposes only

Riley Cran
Milan covers
Number composition
Central standard collateral
The Christiana identity
The Christiana identity
The Christiana identity
The Christiana identity
Connectivity
Mountie illustration
Logo
Logo
Authentic Photo Logo
Central Standard mark
 FM Logo
 Lost type logo
Madison Logo
Mark
 Sewtopia logo
Spinning Top mark
 Vintage Table Co. mark
Wine logo
Artemus labeling
labeling and packaging
No-Li collateral
No-Li packaging
No-Li packaging
No-Li packaging
A Type Brigade Special lettering
Escafina typeface
Triple Birthday lettering
Moriston typeface


No comments:

Post a Comment