Thursday, August 9, 2018

Artist of the day, August 9: Gérard DuBois, French-Canadian graphic designer, illustrator

Gérard DuBois (1968) is a smart, elegant artist whose painted illustrations have appeared in countless magazines both in the US and around the world. Dubois has illustrated close to 20 books for children and adults, and is a favorite among art directors for his ability to tackle complex issues with simple power and grace. The Montreal-based illustrator (and former graphic designer) also recently created a set of posters for the National Theatre in Lyon, and as as-yet-to-debut series of postage stamps. DuBois works in a variety of styles, including a striking collection of collages, and his work is consistently a remarkable blend of beauty, passion, and intelligence.

I came to Canada just after my graphic studies, back in 1989, to do a 16-month contract as a graphic designer for the French Ministry of Cooperation in the Maritimes provinces. Soon after I flew to Montreal, where I started work as an illustrator. My first contract was in April 1991—I was 23. I never thought it would last. I always had in mind I would soon need to get a regular job in a design firm or something like that. I still have this feeling somehow in the back of my head.

I did some freelance projects as an art director, between illustrations, but I’ve been lucky since I’ve started to be able to make a living out of illustration only. So you could say that I almost stepped out of school and did the only thing I’ve always wanted to do—draw. I feel really lucky about it, and so I try to enjoy it, even when I feel bad or so sorry for my limited skills.

For six years now, he’s been teaching at the University of Quebec in Montreal, a course per session, and have great fun doing it.

© 2018. All images are copyrighted © by Gérard DuBois. The use of any image from this site is prohibited unless prior written permission is obtained.


Mr Gérard DuBois







































Orlando shooting






















No comments:

Post a Comment