Thursday, May 26, 2022

Artist of the Day, May 26, 2022: Eglė Einikytė-Narkevičienė, a Lithuanian Ceramist (#1579)

 To Eglė Einikytė-Narkevičienė, (1972) ceramics is more important than any other art form. After trying out different media, she couldn’t find anything that came close. Working with ceramics allows her to be a painter, sculptor and graphic artist all at once, since clay can encompass it all. She decorates ceramic tiles, and creates interior details, sculptures, jewellery, pictures on wood, elegant boxes, plates and vases. In her works you can often see the influence of nature and man, images of which are subtly painted on the surfaces of plates and other objects. She combines transparent surfaces with massive shapes, elegant graphics with heavy sculptures, and matt surfaces with glossy glazes.

Why do ceramics interest you?
I like it that ceramics are universal and boundless. I could compare it to the Holy Testament: you can spend your whole life analysing it and still not understand anything. Ceramics allow me to be a painter, a graphic artist and a jewellery maker. I am fascinated by Raku ceramics and Anagama ceramics.

Do you use a specific technique?

When creating, I often try out new techniques and materials. I am frequently tempted to devise an interesting glaze. But in the end, the idea matters more than the execution. I make the sculptures by hand from clay, then spray them with glaze or coloured engobes.

What inspires you to create?
Sometimes I am inspired by the simple things around me, or by a successful glaze experiment, other times it can be interesting exhibitions or good artworks. I observe my surroundings and I like what I see.

What traits should a ceramicist have?
It’s very important to be patient. You shouldn’t expect to get quick results. Someone who wants to become a ceramicist needs to have a lot of patience and courage to experiment. Ceramics only becomes more beautiful like that.
© 2022. All content on this blog is protected by international copyright laws All images are copyrighted © by Eglė Einikytė-Narkevičienė or assignee. Apart from fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review as permitted under the Copyright Act, the use of any image from this site is prohibited unless prior written permission is obtained. All images used for illustrative purposes only

Ms. Eglė Einikytė-Narkevičienė
Installation view
  Pride, 2018
 Blue Velvet, 2018
 Crystals, 2018
 Seed. The Bowl of Pride, 2018
 The Man and the Dot, 2018
 Threesomes, 2018
  #12, 2019
 Circle I, 2019
 Composition InSide-OutSide, 2019
 De die in diem. In aeternium, 2019
 From composition InSide-OutSide, 2019
From composition InSide-OutSide, 2019
From composition InSide-OutSide, 2019
 #12, 2020
 #04, 2020
 Balance, 2020
 Circle II, 2020
 Conversation, 2020
 Horizon, 2020
 Horizon I, 2020
 In the Depth, 2020
In the Depth II, 2020
 One Size, 2019
 Pink, 2020
 Yellow Balloon, 2020
 Red I, 2021
 Red II, 2021
 Vortex, 2021
 Waves I, 2021
 Waves II, 2021
 Without Your Grace I'm Just a Shroud, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment