Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Artist of the Day, February 21, 2023: Tobias Hall, a British calligrapher, graphic designer, hand lettering artist (#1784)

 Hand lettering is an art that Tobias Hall has mastered to perfection. In the interview, you will find out Tobias’ path to becoming a letterer and hopefully apply some of his knowledge and advice to your own path.

Tobias Hall is a freelance illustrator, letterer, designer and mural artist working out of London. Some of Tobias’ most impressive work is his hand lettering and mural artwork for various brands and restaurants. Tobias is also Art Director at restaurant chain Zizzi.

The Art of Hand Lettering with Tobias Hall

How did you become an illustrator?
I graduated in 2010, and having initially worked in a bar for a few months while I took on projects for friends and family, I eventually got my lucky break when a restaurant chain called Zizzi got in touch and asked me to paint a mural for them. One project led to another, and before I knew it I was working in house with them, all the while adding to my portfolio and attracting further work from other clients.

How would you best describe your style of work?
Initially, I started out life as a conceptual illustrator, but my work now focuses heavily on lettering and typography, whether that be for murals, logos, print or whatever. My aim is to become very much a one-stop shop for all styles of lettering, rather than focusing on one particular style.

What advice would you give to people looking to pursue their dream career?

I guess for me it was just about creating good work and putting it in front of people. I had the attitude that I probably wasn’t going to ‘make it’ and as a result worked extra hard to try and make things happen. Also, one thing I’ve learnt is that if you don’t ask, you don’t get – I’ve been surprised at how much I’ve made happen just through asking.

What is the hardest lesson you have learnt?
Pricing of jobs is still a difficult one to judge, but nowadays I have myself an agent who handles all of that, which is good.

What piece of work are you most proud of?

I like the self-initiated ‘Thank You’ piece. The series of London drop caps I made for Great Little Place seemed to go down well with people too.

© 2023. All content on this blog is protected by international copyright laws All images are copyrighted © by Tobias Hall or assignee. Apart from fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review as permitted under the Copyright Act, the use of any image from this site is prohibited unless prior written permission is obtained. All images used for illustrative purposes only

Tobias Hall
 Self promo
Budweiser
Merry Christmas hand lettering
Nathan Love hand lettering logo
The Christmas Present hand lettering
CJ logo
Event horizon brand imagery
No kands Co. brand identity
Our man on Havana lettering
Paroni logo
Punta Este Cervesa packaging
 Honk Album
 Honk CD
 Time cover, July 2016
Food Monthly cover
Shaker seed Co.
Warburton bread Ad
Warburton bread Ad
Warburton bread Ad
Warburton bread Ad
Ruby Soho Illustration
Liquid history cover
Recipes Poster
White Heights illustration
Frugality Poster
Cadillac promo
Netflix fest poster
Punta Este ad
Punta Este ad
Thank you hand lettering

 

No comments:

Post a Comment