Friday, April 17, 2020

Artist of the day, April 17 2020: Catrin Welz-Stein, A German-born Malaysian Graphic designer, digital artist (#971)

Catrin Welz-Stein graduated from Graphic Design in Darmstadt, Germany and then worked for different advertising agencies in Germany, the USA, and Switzerland. Three years ago Catrin started to create digital images by collaging old illustrations and photographs. She now lives and works in Malaysia where she creates stunningly surreal works. Focused on mixed media, she breathes new life into vintage photos by experimenting in Photoshop, taking pictures apart and assembling them into new content.

"As a child, I loved to draw and liked to be creative. I almost was born with a pencil in my hand.
I knew I wanted to do something related to arts. I have graduated from Graphic Design in Darmstadt, Germany and then worked for different advertising agencies in Germany, the USA, and Switzerland.

I stopped working in agencies after becoming a mother, and after a short time of being self-employed, I decided to quit work until my children grew older. Because of my children (4 and 6 years old) I can go through childhood again and I can enjoy the world of fantasy and fairy tales. I like to look at children's books and let them inspire me.

As a professional graphic art designer, I often had to make compromises for the clients. There were a lot of rules in visual communication and I often felt that I could not express my whole creativity. Now I enjoy creating art that does not explain itself from the beginning. My images have a dreamlike and surreal quality. They speak from inner feelings which we often hide in our daily life.

My images are all digital made. I collect old images and illustrations and put them new together in Photoshop. The working process is based on combining and the division of photographs, with removing, filling, and retouch. Using digital medium I have far more creative possibilities and I can work much faster than on the Canvas. Perhaps, my skills have been formed during the long years of working in front of my computer. Thanks to all that I can create my art best in digital."


© 2020. All content on this blog is protected by international copyright laws All images are copyrighted © by Catrin Welz-Stein. Apart from fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review as permitted under the Copyright Act, the use of any image from this site is prohibited unless prior written permission is obtained. All images used for illustrative purposes only



Ms. Catrin Welz-Stein
A Butterflies Destiny
Wheel of Fortune
Time to Say Goodbye
The Star
The Poet's coffee
Ace of Pentacles
Bienenkönigin
Birdhouse
Black Swan
Blue Agave and Cacao
The Hummingbird (6 of Wands)
The Devil
The Chariot
Spiderwebs
Soulsister
So, tell me, who is the boss?
Seven of Pentacles, Tarot Card Series
Paradieszug
Catwoman
Contemplation, Digital Collage
Die Gedanken sind frei
Eight of Swords (Tarot Card Series)
Eight of Wands
For you
Free Your Mind
Freiheit
Harlekin Cat
Night and Day
Moonship
Monkey Business
Miss Sunshine
Mandarin Basilic
Leaving me speechless
Künstler

Homeward Bound

No comments:

Post a Comment