Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Artist of the Day, November 16, 2022: Tom Frantzen, a Belgian sculptor (#1701)

Tom Frantzen (1954), is a Belgian sculptor, known for his street images.

Frantzen was born in Brussels and studied at the National School of Architecture and Visual Arts, La Cambre. In 1977 he built his own foundry. He made study tours in France, Germany, Italy and the United States. Until 1990 he cast his images himself; since then he has contracted this work out.

Interview
One could describe my style, characterized by humor and imagination, as Contemporary Flemish Fantastic Art. It is a form of satirical surrealism in which I am mostly inspired by human behavior. In all my sculptures I seek a spatial dynamic. Formally I often combine minimalist forms in corten steel, stone, concrete or wood, with organic forms in bronze.

For more than 20 years now, I have devoted half my time to creating a sculpture garden called ‘Les Sentiers du Waaienberg’. During the other half of the time I make sculptures for public spaces. These achievements are the result of many competitions in which I participate.

In the garden the sculptures are entirely in symbiosis with nature. Here my creativity, in terms of form and content, knows no borders. Within this sculptural world is 'The Progression of Human Madness' which is probably the most important work in the garden. It is a 14 m long sculpture that took me eight years to work on. It expresses inhuman humanity through time.

With my outdoor sculptures I try to set well-placed 'accents' in the environment and seek interactivity with the public.


© 2022. All content on this blog is protected by international copyright laws All images are copyrighted © by Tom Frantzen or assignee. Apart from fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review as permitted under the Copyright Act, the use of any image from this site is prohibited unless prior written permission is obtained. All images used for illustrative purposes only 

Tom Frantzen
 L'Ange exterminateur, 1984
Le Vaartkapoen, 1985
 Methaphore I, 1990
Running Culture, 1991
Le Congo I présumé, 1997
Le Zinneke, 1998
 Boule & Bill, 2000
 Madame Chapeau, 2000
 Vannes van Lichtert, 2000
 Les Noces, 2001
 Pieter Bruegel, 2002
 Bandundu Water Jazz Band, 2005
 Jan Cornelis Van Rijswijck, 2006
 La Renaissance du Rêve, 2007
 Le premier Rêve de Saint Exupéry, 2007
 Li belle Hippo, 2009
 Les Acrobates, 2012
 Grues pour Tim, 2014
 Le Tambour, 2014
 L'atelier du peintre, 2015
 Jacques Brel memorial, 2017 Brussels, Belgium
Le Pezze-snaa-er, 2018
Hergé Tintinimaginatio, 2022
Hergé Tintinimaginatio, 2022
Snails & Hares
Singe sur monocycle

Chameleon as a rider on winged horse


1 comment: